Become a Farmer Mentor
Join us for an info session to learn about the Apprenticeship!
Learn how you can employ an apprentice on your operation. We host info sessions for farm employers on the first Tuesday of each month.
Register for a session here »
Train an Apprentice on your Farm
Are you looking for a skilled employee who could be a valuable addition to your farm? Consider hiring an apprentice through the Beginning Farm and Ranch Manager Apprenticeship Program!
Apprenticeship is a system of learning while earning and “learning by doing.” It combines on-the-job training with related fundamental curriculum. The Beginning Farm and Ranch Manager Apprenticeship Program exposes aspiring farm managers to a foundational education by connecting them with seasoned farmers and ranchers to gain skills, knowledge, and experience that will give them the tools they need to obtain farm or ranch manager positions.
As a farmer, this is your opportunity to mentor the next generation of farm managers. Your participation will help build a pipeline of skilled workers for the agricultural industry and for your operation.
There are two ways to train an apprentice:
- Enroll an existing employee that would benefit from a structured program to gain skills and experience that would better prepare them to perform a management role on your farm
- Hire an apprentice from our pool of applicants, which have been pre-selected to ensure high-quality candidates with transferable skills. As the employer, you review the applications, interview candidates you are interested in, and make the hiring decisions. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
The program is expected to last between 18 and 24 months, depending on your operation. Apprentices complete 3,000 hours of on-the-job training on your farm in addition to 250 or more hours of coursework. Our staff provides structured evaluations four times over the course of the program to ensure apprentices are improving their performance. By the end of the program, our goal is for you to have a high-quality employee who is invested in your operation for the long-term.
How do Farmers Benefit?
It can be challenging to find a reliable employee and even more difficult with the shortage of skilled workers in the ag industry. Here’s how we can help:
- We can connect you with highly qualified employees. We save you time by recruiting & selecting candidates with transferable skills that can benefit your operation.
- We can provide a pathway for your employee to become more valuable to your farm. With new state wage requirements, you are required to pay your employees more. Why not take this opportunity to add value to their position?
- All costs for training courses, workshops, and classes are covered by the program.
Ready to take on an apprentice?
Let’s make sure you meet the requirements:
- Farms need to be able to provide sufficient work experience in our work process areas.
- Apprentices must be paid at least minimum wage, and farmers should be able to provide a $.50 wage increase every six months as they build their skills.
- Apprentices are hired as employees and need to be covered by worker’s compensation.
If you are interested in joining the program, or have questions about whether it would work for you and your farm, please contact our Apprenticeship Program staff at email@example.com, or at 530-795-1520.