How to Apply
Please keep in mind that there are some minimum requirements that applicants must meet. In order to apply to the program, you must:
- Currently reside in the California
- Be currently eligible to work in the United States. International applications are accepted if you have a work sponsor. All applicants to the program must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of the program, and we do not assist with the visa application or sponsor international participants.
- Be 18 years old or older
- Be able to lift up to 30 pounds as part of daily work
- Have a valid driver's license
- Have 12 months of farming experience on a commercial operation or have completed a college degree in agriculture. We welcome military veterans to apply even if experience requirements are not met.
There are multiple steps involved in the application process:
Step 1: Pre-Application
If you meet the minimum requirements outlined above, you can fill out the pre-application which collects basic information, establishes your eligibility to participate in the program, and makes sure that you understand the requirements of participation in the Program. Staff will set up a phone call to answer your questions and go over the rest of the application process if you meet the basic eligibility criteria.
Step 2: Application
After determining whether you meet the eligibility requirements, staff will invite you to complete a full program application. In the application, you will describe your experience and qualifications, in addition to sharing your passion for agriculture and reasons for applying. You will also need to submit a current resume and two professional references.
Step 3: Interview
Once your application has been received, Program staff will schedule a phone interview.
Step 4: Application Review & Job Offers
Your application and interview will be scored and ranked to reflect your fit with the program. Top ranked applications will be sent to farmers to review. Farmers may contact you for an interview at this point. Please note that this is a fairly competitive program, and the process of being hired by a farm can range from weeks to months.
If you have questions, please contact Apprenticeship Program Staff at apprenticeship[at]landbasedlearning.org or 530-795-1520.