California Farm Academy
The Explorer Course is designed to help aspiring farmers learn what it takes to start and manage an agricultural business, and decide whether this is a path they really want to take. It is created as a decision-making tool; the Explorer course can help you establish a clear vision and goals you will need to guide a new agricultural venture. It will help you identify and assess personal motivations, business and farming skills, and available resources, and help to clarify your values. The goal of Explorer is to help you decide whether starting an agricultural business is right for you, and based on that decision--to help you plan practical next steps.
Classes & Curriculum
The Explorer Curriculum is broken up into four sections as follows:
- Assess Yourself
- Research the Landscape
- Assess Your Resources
- Make Decision & Take Next Steps
Dates & Additional Information
- Spring session will be held from May 22nd-July 3rd. Tentative dates for the fall session are August 21st-September 25th.
- Explorer sessions will be held on Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 12 noon, and will be online. In-person sessions, if any, will be held at the Center for Land-Based Learning campus in Woodland (40140 Best Ranch Road, Woodland, 95776). We will also have one farm tour in Yolo County and one field session in Woodland. The tour and field session will last approximately three to four hours.
- Classes and activities are conducted in English.
- All COVID-19 protocol is followed.
The cost of the course in 2021 is $950 (not tax deductible). Fees cover classes, hands-on experience, individual meetings with the Program Manager, & farm visits. Necessary machinery, tools and supplies for the activities are provided.
You may pay course fees via check, money order or credit card. Checks should be made payable to the Center for Land-Based Learning. Credit card payments are assessed a service charge of 3.5% of the transaction total. You may pay in full or pay in two installments. To avoid the service charge, please use an alternate form of payment. Payments are due on the following schedule:
- Payment 1: $950 - By 5 p.m. on April 20, 2021
- Payment 1: $475 - By 5 p.m. on April 20, 2021
- Payment 2: $475 - By 5 p.m. on May 20, 2021
Partial payment for the program is required upon acceptance in order to secure a place in the session. Minimum payment of $475 is due by April 20, 2021. If payment is not received by the deadline, the participant will lose their spot in the program. Please confirm with Sri Sethuratnam (530) 795-4146 or Sri@landbasedlearning.org to pay amounts different from above.
A 10% surcharge will be deducted from any refund of fees after a student withdraws from the program. Once class has started, course fees are non-refundable. To pay fees by credit card, visit the Course fees payment portal.
Sri Sethuratnam, California Farm Academy Director
<< Back to the California Farm Academy program page.