California Farm Academy
The Explorer Course is designed to help aspiring farmers learn what it takes to start and manage an agricultural business, and decide whether this is a path they really want to take. It is created as a decision-making tool; the Explorer course can help you establish a clear vision and goals you will need to guide a new agricultural venture. It will help you identify and assess personal motivations, business and farming skills, and available resources, and help to clarify your values. The goal of Explorer is to help you decide whether starting an agricultural business is right for you, and based on that decision — to help you plan practical next steps.
Classes & Curriculum
The Explorer Curriculum is broken up into four sections as follows:
- Assess Yourself
- Research the Landscape
- Assess Your Resources
- Make Decision & Take Next Steps
Dates & Additional Information
- Fall, 2023 session will be held from October 19-21, 9am-5 pm each day. A fourth day will be held on November 4, 2023, 9 am-noon.
- Explorer sessions will be meet at the Center for Land-Based Learning campus in Woodland (40140 Best Ranch Road, Woodland, 95776), unless otherwise noted.During the scheduled class time, we will tour one farm in the area. There will also be some field work in Woodland. The tour and field session will last approximately three to four hours.
- Classes and activities are conducted in English.
The cost of the course is $980 (not tax deductible). Fees cover classes, hands-on experience, individual meetings with the Program Manager, and farm visits. Necessary machinery, tools and supplies for the activities are provided. Lunch is not provided. Please plan to bring your lunch each day.
You may pay course fees via check, money order or credit card. Checks should be made payable to the Center for Land-Based Learning. Credit card payments are assessed a service charge of 3.5% of the transaction total. You may pay in full or pay in two installments. To avoid the service charge, please use an alternate form of payment. Payments are due on the following schedule:
- Payment 1: $980 - By 5 p.m. on October 4, 2023
- Payment 1: $490 - By 5 p.m. on October 4, 2023
- Payment 2: $490 - By 5 p.m. on October 17, 2023
Partial payment for the program is required upon acceptance in order to secure a place in the session. Minimum payment of $490 is due by October 4, 2023. If payment is not received by the deadline, the participant will lose their spot in the program. Scholarships are available for U.S. Veterans. Please confirm with Jon Kupkowski (916) 400-9480 or email@example.com to inquire about financial aid.
A 10% surcharge will be deducted from any refund of fees after a student withdraws from the program. Once class has started, course fees are non-refundable. To pay fees by credit card, visit the Course fees payment portal.
Jon Kupkowski, Beginning Farmer Training Program Manager
« Back to the California Farm Academy program page.